RVing has never been more popular in the US. In addition to being a lot of fun, RV travel helps avoid exposure to Coronavirus while traveling. Not to mention with travel costs for airfare and accommodations ever increasing, RV vacations are a tempting alternative — especially if you want to see a lot in a short time but in a great deal of comfort.
Add to this a growing interest by millennials and young families joining the van life movement and minimalist lifestyle — plus the ability to work from the road with new technology — and suddenly you’re not looking at your grandparents’ form of RVing anymore.
There are just as many types of recreational vehicles as there are ways to enjoy them. Want to ramble down the Big Sur Coastal Highway? You can in a motorhome. Ready to explore the majestic American Southwest? A class-A or -C RV is your new best friend.
And speaking of friends, you’ll definitely make them across all demographics when you join the RV club. From boondocking modern nomads with wanderlust, to families looking for a different American Dream, to the Baby-Booming empty nesters and snowbirding road warriors, you’ll enjoy the sense of community and camaraderie unique to this form of adventure travel.
Of course, some will argue (us included!) that RVing is more than just about travel. It’s a way of life for many. We’re hard-pressed to find a more fulfilling and frugal way to support an active, balanced lifestyle, stay in touch with nature, and explore the world around us.
So, do we have you itching for a road trip? RVing makes it easy to get your feet wet with plenty of places to rent a little “mobile motel” for a weekend getaway. Or, if you’ve already taken the plunge with an RV of your own, then you’ve got no excuse to not hit the road!
And just where will you go? With more than 13,000 privately owned RV parks and over 1,600 state parks that cater to RVers in the US, there’s no shortage of choices. It really boils down to what area of the country you want to explore, what activities and attractions are important to you, and how long you have to wander the open road.
There are great RV resort and campground directory and review sites like Good Sam, CampgroundReviews.com, and Campendium that can steer you in the right direction, and we’d like to add our own recommendations to the mix.
In this RVing round-up, we shine the spotlight on six regional favorites that have earned consistently high reviews by RVers and reputable review sites alike. While we feature locations of varying sizes, each site adheres to criteria we believe are most important for a successful RV adventure. All include full hookups, pull-thru sites, room for slideouts, clean bathrooms and laundry facilities, and sites that support up to 50 max amps. And the big bonus? All of our selections are eco/pet/budget-friendly, plus have handicap accessible units. Yay! RV camping for all!
We’re curious where your next RV adventure will take you! We should note that as with any trip planning, you’ll do well to make your reservations in advance. Seasoned RVers are planners and tend to book early for their favorite spots and lots. Also, call ahead and study the websites for the places you plan to visit to review their policies and pricing, rules, and restrictions.
Let’s get this list started, shall we?
NORTHEAST: Luxury Family Tradition
Normandy Farms Family Camping Resort | Foxboro, MA
Why We Love It: Nestled deep in the woods between Boston and Cape Cod, Normandy Farms is a 387-lot luxury camping destination that has been a family tradition since 1971. One visit (or a virtual one here), and it’s easy to see why it’s earned multiple awards. Even with all the modern amenities, this very special resort harkens back to a bygone era when families would spend entire summers at their “home away from home” (think “Dirty Dancing”).
What To Enjoy:
- Catch some air on the bike park, featuring a jump line, pump track, and skills area.
- Pass away the hours at the Creative Arts Center with movies, arts and crafts, cribbage, yoga, and other activities.
- Play a round of 18-hole disc golf on a course that is sure to challenge your skills.
- Check out this resort’s expansive amenities list here.
- Experience a day-trip to Boston, just 35 miles from the resort.
- Visit Supercharged, the largest indoor multi-level karting track in the world.
- Enjoy the neighboring Foxboro State (F. Gilbert Hills) Forest, where 23 miles of mountain biking, hiking, and horseback riding trails abound.
What People Are Saying: “I am so impressed with this impeccable campground. This is home away from home. The grounds are so beautiful, trees are trimmed perfectly, there are huge decorated flower gardens and hanging plants throughout the entire place. The swimming pools are so clean. The lodge is wonderful.” — Lisa D.
SOUTHEAST: Waterway Stay
Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort | Hilton Head Island, SC
Why We Love It: This beautiful waterside resort on South Carolina’s Intracoastal Waterway offers 200 landscaped sites & concrete pads. Enjoy excellent dining at the five-star Sunset Grille. Charter a boat or jet-skis at the marina. Beautiful beaches and premier golf are just minutes away!
What To Enjoy: You’ll love putting their two pools and hot tub to use, along with the exercise room and a playground for the kiddos. But the real draw here is the marina, where you can indulge in every water sport imaginable. This resort offers a variety of fun rentals and activities including jet skis, boats, and paddleboards, plus kayak and nature tours.
- Climb all 114 steps to the top of Harbour Town Lighthouse. On the way up, you can stop to look at many of the historical relics and photos on the walls.
- Take a delightful Dolphin Ocean Cruise.
- Plan a park day at Coligny Beach Park.
What People Are Saying: “Love this place! Very helpful, friendly, and smart staff. Tony at the marina is awesome! My wife wanted to go fishing but they were low on bait. Tony went out of his way and picked up bait for my wife to have the next morning. We didn’t have a chance to check out the restaurant, so now I have a great excuse to go back soon!” — Charles C.
MIDWEST: Lakeside Leisure
Petoskey KOA | Petoskey, MI
Why We Love It:
America has grown up with KOA...and KOA has grown up too! Today’s KOA campsites are so much more than the original iconic A-frame house and basic amenities. With Lake Michigan and the state’s famed sand dunes at its doorstep, this park is rated #1 in Michigan by Trailer Life and is among the top-rated RV parks in North America. This unique park layout weaves 160 RV sites throughout its tranquil 30-acre setting among the cedar, pine, and maple trees. Don’t worry, though. There are still plenty of open spaces to enjoy Petoskey’s renowned “million-dollar sunsets!”
What To Enjoy:
- Educational nature events
- Stone polishing and other arts and crafts
- Planned activities
- Amazing pizza at the KOA Cafe
- Delight at the mushroom houses of Charlevoix.
- Comb the beaches for the area’s famous Petoskey stones — both rock and fossil, and quite beautiful with their intricate designs.
- Dedicate a day to Mackinac Island, Jewel of the Great Lakes and the world’s fudge capital!
What People Are Saying: “If I had to use one word to describe this KOA, it would be excellent! Excellent staff, excellent grounds, and excellent customer service. The entire campground is well-kept and orderly. Nice pool and hot tub, and a great little campground store! I would absolutely stay here again!” — Andrew A.
SOUTHWEST: Backcountry Base Camp
Mesa Verde RV Resort | Mancos, CO
Why We Love It: Owners Mike and Liz have created a true little oasis in the sage and piñion country of Southwest Colorado, right next door to the world-renowned Mesa Verde National Park. Their first-rate amenities and a friendly staff only sweeten the deal. It’s hard to find a camper review that doesn’t mention how clean and welcoming it is — important amenities after a dusty day exploring nearby sites! This little 48-lot spot is a perfect base camp to explore Mesa Verde and nearby attractions, activities, and sites dedicated to Native American culture.
What To Enjoy:
- Two hot tubs and heated pool
- Outdoor sitting area with gas barbecues and fire pits
- A cute little store stocked with camping necessities and extras
- “The best bathrooms and showers ever!”, as noted by most of their guests
- Explore the famous cliff dwellings and other ancient treasures at Mesa Verde National Park.
- Don’t miss Hovenweep National Monument, a collection of six prehistoric, Puebloan-era villages all worth seeing.
- Stand simultaneously in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah at Four Corners National Monument, the only point in the US where four states connect.
What People Are Saying: “I don't think I can say enough great things about this place and the staff. We stayed here just to go to Mesa Verde National Park, and I am so glad we did. The resort was really easy to get in and out of. The staff was welcoming and helpful. Every part of the facility was great and very clean. To our surprise, they had a lot of activities for the kids, including a pool. If I ever come through again, I will be staying here.” — Bradley L.
WEST: Desert Diamond
The Springs at Borrego RV Resort | Borrego Springs, CA
Why We Love It: Just two hours from San Diego and three hours from Los Angeles, this desert gem is tucked in the middle of the largest state park in California, the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. The area is celebrated as a hiking, camping, and off-roading paradise. With the resort’s 163 spacious RV lots, and what feels like almost as many amenities to match, you may end up spending your entire stay on resort grounds. (But we do encourage you to venture out!)
What To Enjoy:
- Whet your appetite with a Virtual Tour.
- Challenge your golfing skills at the custom-designed championship 9-hole golf course.
- Enjoy hours of stargazing at the resort’s top-of-the-line, on-site astronomy park!
- Enjoy the biking and 4x4 vehicle routes, along with hundreds of miles of hiking trails, and extensive mud caves in the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park.
- Hike into Slot Canyon, a beloved visitor attraction. Nature’s wonders are truly on display along the hike, including spectacular cliffs.
- Be amazed by the 130 larger-than-life large scale, free-standing, metal “Sky Art” sculpture creatures at Galleta Meadows.
What People Are Saying: “This place was amazing. The pricing is fabulous for all the amenities. Pool, gym, tennis, bocce, pickleball, just to name a few. All of the RV sites are clean and manicured. I appreciated the gravel raked in clean lines, and having a desert design, like a cactus drawn to welcome our arrival. Everyone we encountered was extremely friendly and helpful. It's appreciated and noted. Thank you. We will be back.” — Christy D.
PACIFIC NORTHWEST: Secluded Safe Bet
Seven Feathers RV Resort | Canyonville, OR
Why We Love It:
When you visit, you’ll immediately wonder how this 23-acre family-friendly resort surrounded by so many things to do and interesting places (including a casino!) can feel so tranquil and pristine. Its friendly staff strive to make every guests’ stay memorable, and it’s likely a stay here will be a safe bet you won’t forget. We think you’ll agree after watching the two cool videos on their homepage. Located in Southern Oregon, it’s also considered the gateway to the volcanic Crater Lake.
What To Enjoy:
- 191 full hook-up sites
- Indoor heated swimming pool and hot tub
- Fitness center and media center
- Horseshoe courts, barbecue pavilion, playground
- Garden Walk, casino shuttle service, RV supplies, concierge service
- Test your luck at Seven Feathers Casino across the street (shuttle available).
- Transport yourself to the African plains at Wildlife Safari, home to hundreds of animals that wander freely over the 600-acre park.
- Take a tour of the abundant nearby Umpqua Valley wineries (the resort offers Wine Country Trolley Tours).
- Visit Crater Lake, the deepest lake in the US, known for its vibrant blue color and purity. A must-see!
What People Are Saying: “Beautiful park. Very well maintained. We felt very safe and the staff was friendly and accommodating. The 24-hour shuttle to and from the casino was great. Many amenities also.” — Ron F.
Content Created by - Carefree Covered RV Storage